About Me

My photo
Now single male in search of true freedom via the cruising life on the high seas.

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Profile

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Galley

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

One's Word

You know, I was raised, and raised my daughter, in a way that emphasised the importance of one's word. I personally live my life with one rule which is "Say what you mean and mean what you say" It is a very simple rule, but definitely demonstrates ones personal integrity. Something that seems to be grossely lacking in our society today. Most people take no credence in their word these days. Oh, there are exceptions of course, but they seem to be getting fewer and further between. It has always been of my opinion that a man is only as good as his word. In other words, if his word is no good then he is......
Well, you get my drift.

I was under the impression that cruisers were different breed than the average person these days. They certainly are a mostly friendly lot, generally speaking. Most cruisers we have met on this trip have been very forthcoming with advice and the sharing of information. Generally speaking, most have been honest and very helpful. Okay you are probably asking yourselves why I am writing this in our blog. To be quite frank it is because I am disillusioned by the number of sailors and supposed sailors, that have gone back on their word. To date four supposed crew have signed on and then at the last minute backed out, due to so-called personal reasons. Caring not the inconvenience, nor the unnecessary danger caused by their actions. The latest example was a self claimed sailor and supposed christian yesterday. Another owner of a Islander 44 here in San Diego. He claimed to have sailed down the Baja Coast many times and assured us he would sail with us down to the Sea of Cortez. Upon his commitment, I pulled our ad for a crew member out of Latitude 38. Yesterday, he rescinded his commitment. We now have no time left to find a replacement. As a result, I will be sailing the ninehundred pluss miles solo, as my wife has not mastered standing watches and can not physically withstand any degree of sleep deprivation.

This person also promised to come over Monday to show me how to set up the E-Meter, which monitors the electrical consumption. He never showed up and when I called him the next day he said he was waiting for me to call him. Hmmm, should have been a "RED Flag" I suppose. He showed up later and said he wanted to explain the basics so I could "do it myself later, if needed." He spent an hour or so reading out of a book and then said, okay I will read and you do the setting of the unit. Well, after about two hours, and supposedly half way done (I thought) he said he wanted to take a break. At that time a gentleman ( Ham Operator) arrived to test my repairs on the Ham Radio. The break person said that he was going to leave then. He said the hard part was done and all that was left to do was the "Advanced Settings". Which he said I could do. To make a very long story shorter, I am now where I started. I checked the E-Meter this morning and nothing has been fixed, all the settings are wrong, as he did not change anything. All he did was waste another day of our time! I am not happy!

My final words in this post are;

Please, "SAY WHAT YOU MEAN AND MEAN WHAT YOU SAY"
                   "A MAN IS ONLY AS GOOD AS HIS WORD"

No comments:

Post a Comment