About Me

My photo
Now single male in search of true freedom via the cruising life on the high seas.

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Profile

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Galley

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Engine

I tried to post this response to Jason on the blog comment section, but it came up on the wrong post. It is better here anyway. So in response to Jasons kindly advice;

We are looking at fuel issues such as; metal flakes in high pressure fuel line clogging an injector, (engine caughing, in attempt to clear metal flake) as the engine shakes when it knocks. A bad injector. Water traped in fuel system, releasing periodically etc. Also the possibility of a loose head. The knock just doesn't sound like a rod to me. The sound is of higher pitched variety, like a fuel knock that rattles the engine very hard.. A rod noise should be constant and this nois is intermittant. We are going to get a second opinion.


The mechanic said it was a rod, but I do have my doubts after talking to several other professionals that confirmed my thoughts about a possible fuel issue. We have to move the boat today, so will have to run it (at idle) to get it out of marina to anchorage. I will pray for enough wind to sail most of the few miles to the anchorage. I wonder if our dink will tow it? Maybe!

2 comments:

  1. You should talk to Steve Yoder on towing the boat with the dink. I think he will say that it will work great but to tie it to the side of the boat with the engine locked straight and then use Wind Raven to steer. Not sure if you would have enough HP to set the anchor though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is how I was told it was done. Haven't actually had to do it yet myself but a friend pushed his 39 foot heavy cruiser clear across Banderas Bay using his dink tied alongside with a 3 or 3.5 hp outboard. Didn't move fast (~1 knot), but it moved.

    -Steve

    ReplyDelete