About Me

My photo
Now single male in search of true freedom via the cruising life on the high seas.

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Profile

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Galley

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Best Made Plans!

I guess it is true that “life” is what happens while you are making other plans. During our lifetimes, it seems that we are tested by trials and tribulations that that just aren’t fair. But then nobody ever said life was fair. Unfortunately at these times, it is not only our tenacity and stamina that is tested, but our faith in God. It is especially so, when these trials and tribulations continue for months on end with no foreseeable gain or no end in sight. Not only threatening your dreams, but making the possibility of a bright future appear dim indeed. At these disturbing times I believe one must place ones trust in God, but at the same time reach down, pull up your boot straps, and pull yourself out! In other words, we can’t just sit on our ass (donkey) and expect him to do it all.

With that said, I will describe the latest tribulation that is attempting to test my faith to its limits. The plan was to pull out of here tomorrow and head for Ensenada Mexico to get our visas. We planned on spending two days there and then taking off on the last leg down the Baja Coast. All I had left to do yesterday was; change the oil and oil filter, pump out the water contaminated fuel, clean out the filter bowls, install new filters, and bleed the system. The day before I took the injectors in and had them serviced. While there I purchased new seals for the injector pump and planned on installing them after we arrived in Mexico. This decision was made because the leaking of fuel into the oil was minimal and we would sail straight through. In doing so, the engine would only be started two or three times for short periods, so should not be a problem. Hindsight now tells me this was a recipe for disaster.

We are now stranded in San Diego indefinitely. This is due to an unforeseen engine failure that happened upon the completion of the final tasks. When I started the engine it fired right up and sounded better than ever. I put it in gear, set the throttle a hair above an idle and checked the oil and water gauges. All seemed fine as it purred along. It ran about ten minutes before a light tinny noise sounded for a split second. It was so short of duration that I began to question if it was my imagination. It ran fine for another five minutes or so and then a very loud (again tinny ) sound erupted from the engine compartment. I immediately shut it down and thinking it was an errant piece of metal that fell against a moving part, began to search for the problem. I have heard bad rods before and it has been my experience that they have a dull heavy sound, not a tinny one. I found an old piece of copper tubing under the crank pulley that I hoped was the culprit. It wasn’t! I started the engine again and it sounded great for a bit, but when I increased the idle the noise came back intermittently. It comes and goes and sounds tinny. It just didn’t sound like a rod or a lifter to me. I decided to call Brad and see what he thought. He came right over and said it was a rod, shit!

Now what? Well, we have to either rebuild or replace the engine. We can’t do it where we are presently. Our time here is up tomorrow. We have to move out to an anchorage (with no engine to set the hook) due to excessively expensive slip rates in San Diego. Good thing it’s a sailboat. Brad said the rebuild will cost from $ 4500. to $ 6000. plus labor. There is no way we can afford this, as we have had many unexpected expenses (0ver 16 Gs) on our trip down that have seriously depleted our resources. I think we might have located a rebuilt Perkins 4.108-M long block for around $3000.00. If it works out and some of the people who owe us money come through, it will be do-able. Otherwise, We will be stuck in SD indefinitely and looking for work!

On the good side; perhaps it is a good thing that we are here instead of out at sea with this problem. Jesus must love us, or that is where we would be!

3 comments:

  1. AWWWW S**T, guys. Can you hear me groaning up in OR? OK, thinking cap on.

    Spontaneous rod failure...blown remote oil line?, big air bubble working through the oil system?, or somethin' odd with the fuel system? Kind of sounds like a rod end cap slapping, in your case.

    Leaky head gasket?

    Probably too optimistic but fuel/injector issues can sound very strange but you would've noticed the engine running differently, probably.

    I would think real hard about getting a quick oil analysis done (I also wish that I was this smart in real life).
    I would get out my mechanics stethoscope and try to localize the sound just in case. A real pain in the back in your boat. Decide to replace or rebuild.....if replacing then you don't really need to worry about a few minutes more of damage and I would run it for a while and who knows, maybe the noise will diminish(I always do stuff like this and it never works out for me, but who knows?). The Perkys can take a certain amount of abuse and at best are always pretty noisy. Cross fingers and toes to be on the safe side.

    Do you have the shop manual? Lots of them here:
    http://www.fujiyachts.net/manuals/
    Read it and you will feel more confident. These things were designed over 50 years ago and are REALLY simple. This is not rocket science! A 1970's AMF Harley is more technically advanced.

    If I was going to pull the engine anyways, I would do a quick teardown while the thing is sitting in the cockpit. Send out the fuel pump to be rebuilt, cause you don't get one with your short block. Pull the pan, look for sharp little pieces of metal, mike the shaft, maybe get new rods if necessary, oil pressure was good so no pump needed, throw in new bearings and rod bolts, put her back together and pray. The engine was fine just a few days ago, not everything would've been ruined.
    I got all of my parts to rebuild my 4-108 from a farm implement dealer. Like $750 for the full engine kit+head kit. That was sleeves (didn't need them or the $400 machine shop charge to install them, but live and learn), pistons, bearings, seals, gaskets, pretty much everything. Rod bearings, oil pan gasket and front and rear seals, timing cover gasket, make your own engine to tranny gasket........$100?

    I consider all rebuilt engines suspect, not just the ones that I mess with, but a new engine and all the associated stuff comes to around $12-15,000........I have to make friends with what I've got. These engines have been installed in God knows what in the past. A rebuilt might be from something like a generator that ran for 50,000 hrs (like a few that I've worked with in the past)and while a rebuild will bring it to spec.......I don't know.....your engine was good and had a lot less hours.

    Jason
    jtwhitefishathotmaildotcom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope this time the response comes up in the right place.
    Jason thanks for the information. We are looking at fuel issues such as; metal flakes in high pressure fuel line clogging an injector, (engine caughing, in attempt to clear metal flake) as the engine shakes when it knocks. A bad injector. Water traped in fuel system, releasing periodically etc. Also the possibility of a loose head. The knock just doesn't sound like a rod to me. The sound is of higher pitched variety, like a fuel knock that rattles the engine very hard.. A rod noise should be constant and this nois is intermittant. We are going to get a second opinion.


    The mechanic said it was a rod, but I do have my doubts after talking to several other professionals that confirmed my thoughts about a possible fuel issue. We have to move the boat today, so will have to run it (at idle) to get it out of marina to anchorage. I will pray for enough wind to sail most of the few miles to the anchorage. I wonder if our dink will tow it? Maybe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well crap on a stick and call it a poopsicle!!! What the hell is going on? I cannot believe the lack of luck you guys have had just trying to get out of the US. What did you do? Change the name of the boat w/o going through the hocus pocus? Bring a monkey on board? Some other weird sailor superstition to conjure up bad luck? I guess you just have to try to look at the bright side:
    1. You're not in Newport (or worse, Charleston) anymore.
    2. As you said, the engine didn't take a crap on you out at sea.
    3. Maybe it's NOT a rod but instead something easier & cheaper.

    I'm crossing my fingers that a second opinion rules out a major rebuild/replace as the only solution. We'll keep a good thought and just continue assuming that you'll be coming around the bend any time now.

    -Steve

    ReplyDelete