About Me

My photo
Now single male in search of true freedom via the cruising life on the high seas.

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Profile

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Galley

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Blustery in SD

The weather has been great here until today. I walked into town (7 miles round trip) to pick up a spare electric fuel pump, for the second day in a row. On the way back it started raining. By the time I had walked the three and a half miles back to the dinghy dock it was raining like a cow pissing on a flat rock. Of course I didn't have a rain coat, so was getting a bit wet. I jumped into the dinghy, fired the engine and got about four feet before the engine rev-ed up, but the boat ceased to go forward. Luck was with me as I was able to dive to one side and barley grab another dinghy before the wind got hold and carried me away. Damn, sheered a pin at a most inopportune time. And wouldn’t you know, I left the tool pouch on Wind Raven that has the shear pins in it. I also left the oars behind; I had no way to safeguard them from the local thieves that of late have been running rampant in the area. Besides, I sure as hell didn't want to pack them to town and back. Shit, stranded in the rain. I caught a passerby who never even slowed to my query of the use of his phone, to call my wife. He was the only other person in sight, so I walked back to the Coast Guard gate and borrowed their phone. I informed Judy of my self induced dilemma, and asked her to see if she could raise our neighbor and ask him if he would bring my tool kit over to me. When I returned to the dinghy dock there was a fellow cruiser untying his dinghy. Luckily, he was much more amiable and came to my rescue, giving me a ride to get my tool pouch from the boat. Upon arrival, Judy informed me that our neighbor had stuck his head out when she hailed him, looked around and then sucked it right back in. We headed back to the dock. I thanked him profusely, as he would not accept any gratuitous payment. I replaced the broken pin and headed back through the building white caps to the boat. Upon arrival Judy informed me that our neighbor came over dressed in his foulies to help us if needed. I guess he dashed back inside to put on his gear when he saw how wet and blustery it was out. What a nice guy. All in all ,it was a good lesson. I don't think I'll ever make that mistake again. We are supposed to get 60 MPH winds tonight so I let out another 30 ft of chain rode. The wind is coming from across the bay (leeward shore) so should be a long interesting night! The engine is ready, so should be leaving when the weather breaks. Notice I said should. I think I'm getting gun shy!




The wind only reached 50 MPH last night. Hell, I've sailed in 45 knot (over 51MPH) winds with no problem. It really wasn't that bad. Everyone left the anchorage early last night except six of us. Two had problems, both from ignorance or stupidity. Now that I think about it, when it comes to ignorance of the basics of cruising, that is stupidity! Kind of like me sheering a pin and not having oars onboard. That is unless you can't read. For instance, one boat arrived in this normally calm anchorage in a 50' Ketch and dropped anchor much too close to another boat and failed to set the anchor. They just dropped it and let out about 50' of chain. This morning they are about 100 yds closer to the beach in very shallow water. Tide is going out so they had better move soon. The other boat by us failed to secure or take down their jib. It flapped away all night and the people never paid any attention. They stayed inside their boat all night. The jib is now in shreds. I can't guess how many times I went out and walked the deck , checking to make sure all was well last night. I think some people are just plain lazy. Personally, I can't afford to be lazy. It costs too damn much.

Letting out extra rode I believe was the ticket. I had 100' out in 14' of water at high tide. Most people only let out 50' at this anchorage and call it good. Then Murphy bites them in the butt.

We are just lazing around today, and will get to the Sea Of Cortez, someday maybe! God willing!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Rain? Rain? What is this thing you call "Rain"? I have a sort of vague memory of it.

    Everything you're going through is going to be worth it. You are going to love it down here where it was 87 yesterday but still cooled down to the mid-50s last night.

    Take care, keep on keepin' on and we'll see you soon.

    -Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Judy -

    I had to have my "C" drive wiped and lost your Email address and my address has been changed as well. It's now sheilach1@frontier.com.
    When you have time, please send me your Email address.

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete