About Me

My photo
Now single male in search of true freedom via the cruising life on the high seas.

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Profile

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Galley

Monday, February 14, 2011

We were planing on leaving SD for Ensenada in the wee hours Tuesday morning. However after discussing the still existing "fuel in oil" problem, we decided it would be more prudent to remain in SD until it is remedied.

Early yesterday, I soaked all of the bolts in penetrating oil that would have to be removed to access the injector pump. These Included; the exhaust manifold riser, the heat exchanger holding tank, two injectors, the fuel lines, the oil filter and mounting base. This was due to the close proximity of the bulkhead to the engine, and no possible way to even see it, much less get to it. The exhaust manifold bolts were very difficult to access. I worked on it all day before being stopped in my tracks by the fact that with bolts removed, the injection pump refuses to budge, when I try to remove it from the engine block. According to the shop manual, after removing the two bolts and the holding pin, you simply remove it. I would love to get the writers here to show me how simple it is.So here I sit contemplating my plan of attack on this stubborn entity. Yes I do mean entity,as it certainly has a very stubborn "mind of its own!

I'm thinking of sharpening a screwdriver and using it as a wedge to get it started, but I'm afraid that if there is something else holding it, I might damage the housing. This would be very bad, as a new pump is around $1000.00. Nope don't want to go there. So as it stands, I am in somewhat of a dilemma. If I wait for the injection shop to open and ask them, I might not be able to get the pump back today. If I try without asking them, I might damage the pump,,,,,,,,,, Think I'll wait.........Which means ..............More time in SD..........Shit!...I wana go fishin!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jay,
    If the injector pump gasket was put on with gasket sealer, it might be sticking it in place, but mine is a a bit different.
    My injector pump has two bolts/studs that are accessible and visible at approx. 6 and 10 o'clock position. There is a third fitting at 2 or 3 o'clock that is all but invisible, has an allen head and requires a 12/14" extension to get at.

    You put an allen adapter on a 1/4 socket, 12" worth of extensions to reach all of the way behind the length of the injector pump, cross your toes then cuss a whole bunch as the whole freaking thing falls off of the wrench head and falls into the bilge or lodges under the engine pan. Put the first two bolts back on to remove as much tension on the third fitting as possible, make sure that you've marked a registration mark from the flange on the pump housing to the engine plate (I used a cold chisel) and pray that the stupid allen bolt doesn't break.

    This is a real PITA with good access and visibility, considerably worse in a typical sailboat engine room. REALLY tough in yours. I was hoping that replacing the injectors would remedy the fuel-in-oil situation. You've already replaced the lift pump and injectors, that just leaves the high pressure pump. This should take care of the problem and there is nothing else left to fix/replace.

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason....The pump is out and in the shop being rebuilt. It is supposed to be finished today and run between six and seven hundred and fifty dollars. My pump is the same as yours. In the shop manual they refer to the allen bolt as a "set screw". I think it might be a British thing. My refering to it as a pin, was just a good old American "screw up" CHEERS!

    ReplyDelete