About Me

My photo
Now single male in search of true freedom via the cruising life on the high seas.

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Profile

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Galley

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Fingers Crossed

We are keeping our fingers crossed in hope that this time we make it out of San Diego for good. The plan is to move to the Harbor Police dock tomorrow to make final preparations for the sail down the Baha Coast. The fuel problem is continuing to rear its ugly head, but I will solve it one way or the other this next week. Even if I have to pump the remaining sixty gallons out and put fresh fuel in. I might have made the problem worse by listening to bad advice. That is yet to be seen. A person advised me to put  an additive called SeaFoam into my fuel to bond the water to the fuel molecules in order to allow the fuel/water mixture to be burned out in the engine. What he didn't tell me is that by doing this it makes the water impossible to be removed through filtration and cannot be separated from the fuel. You would think this would be okay, since that means it would be doing its job and would be burned off in the cylinders and out the exhaust. A great concept, that is until I discovered a distinct problem with this solution. It seems that if you run water contaminated fuel through the system it can ruin your injectors.
I would imagine that would depend on the percentage of  water is in the fuel. Since there is no way of determining this, it is somewhat of a quandary. Now the label on SeaFoam claims that it removes water, cleans injectors, and increases octane/power. I intend to call the company and ask them what to do, and also inquire with local mechanics. I will also post the question on line.

The next issue is to enable us to sail wing-on-wing down the coast of Baha, which is necessary, I  must have a working pole. A while back I discovered the clip springs that hold the little locking buttons in place on my pole had corroded. When I extended the pole they broke and the little critters ran down the inside of the pole and escaped into the sea. Never to be seen again. To solve this little fiasco, I purchased a SS bolt to put through the pin holes to hold the pole at the desired length. Problem solved. Yesterday I went forward to make a bridle on the pole to enable it to be held in place while I secure it to the sail and the mast. It obviously has not been used in at least seven years and the release pin is frozen and I was unable to free it from the mast. f...!?!? It is soaking, while I am sulking! I will try again today.

The tentative plan is to have this all fixed at the Harbor Police dock within the next five days, before the slip price doubles, be off to Ensenada for a day, and then down Baha. You did notice I said tentative? I don't know about you folks, but I'm really getting sick of that word!

I want to go fishing in Mexico. I wonder when the fun starts? Just kidding, I love work, it keeps me occupied and is never boring. But then you know what they say about all work and no play! On the bright side, we will not be traveling down Baha alone. A sailor we met assured me that if we didn't have someone else to go with us when we head to Baja, he would go. He said he didn't want to see us go alone, as it is exhausting to sail short-handed on such a long cruise. Oh, by the way, we will have internet and our cell phone going down Baha, same number. Well, that's about it for now. See ya in the movies!

No comments:

Post a Comment