About Me

My photo
Now single male in search of true freedom via the cruising life on the high seas.

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Profile

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Galley

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Lazy days!

Yesterday my attempt to repair the check valve failed, due to my stubborn perfectionism. Yeah, it drives me nuts sometimes, and Judy? Well we will let that one lay. Anyway, the threads that hold the flapper on were kinda buggered up. I started to chase them, but since I didn't have a bronze nut, but do have a fear of corrosion on something that could cost us our engine if it failed. I opted to purchase a new one. To my surprise, a new 2" bronze check valve was only around a hundred dollars. Listen to me. I must have become used to the ridiculously high prices on marine products. ONLY indeed!

We ran an ad for a third person to sail to La Paz with us, to help with watches. Several people responded, but they all had prior commitments that, time wise, would be restrictive. The last one is a hoot. This guy e-mails us asking if we still need a sailor and if so he will send referances and a resume. I responded that we did, and would be leaving in a week or so. He e-mailed back stating that he had a volenteer engagment the 13th of next month, so couldn't make it. That is unless we could wait until then. Hmm! Let me see now. It takes seven to ten days to Cabo and another two to La Paz. Thats twelve days in my book, which would make us arrive in La Paz on the first. This would give him eleven days grace to catch a flight back. Hmm! Ya know, If his math is that bad I don't believe he would be a very good choice anyway. I think we will go it alone. I don't understand why people waste your time responding, when they are not serious about going. Maybee they are just bored!

The check valve will be here today at noon, but it is resupply day, so I won't get a chance to install it today. Maybee tomorrow? Yeah, this is supposed to be fun. Sure hope the FUN part starts soon. Maybee after I have completely rebuilt the boat, including all systems. Shit, by then it will be time to start all over again!


Here are some photos of some old friends that I hadn't seen in thirty years!

2 comments:

  1. Jay,
    If you get decent wind so you don't need to refuel and skip all those "outside" stops along the way, you can be at Los Frailes in under a week. It took us 2 hours shy of a week from Ensenada to Los Frailes and Wind Raven goes faster than Siempre Sabado does. The northers are coming through pretty regularly so you might have to sit out a couple days in Los Frailes (we did). Then a daylight trip to Ensenada de Los Muertos, another daylight trip around the corner to one of those sweet anchorages at Ballandra, Caleta Lobos, Playa Pichilingue or Bahia Falsa, and then an easy trip on into the anchorage at La Paz.

    See you guys soon.

    -Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matter of fact, now that I think about it, we had to slow down after passing Cabo so we wouldn't arrive at Los Frailes in the dark.
    -Steve

    ReplyDelete