About Me

My photo
Now single male in search of true freedom via the cruising life on the high seas.

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Profile

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Galley

Sunday, January 16, 2011

A friendly lot!

Tammy spent the day with us yesterday lounging in the sun. It was a beautiful day. It sure makes one appreciate the area down here. I can't imagine why I stayed in Oregon's cold wet climate for so many years. Even bad weather days down here are better than Oregon's good days. While Tammy and Judy were visiting, I decided to try to make a loaf of bread. When I lived in the Blue Mountains I used to make a loaf almost every morning. I couldn't remember if I made soda or baking powder bread. It was a quick bread and not only quick, but delicious. I tried a baking powder bread, but my baking powder was about four years old. The resulting loaf somewhat resembled a mud brick. Judy put baking powder on the shopping list. When it gets here I will try, TRY! Did I say that? Nay, I WILL make a delicious loaf of homemade bread! No more bricks.

At that point Tammy suggested, and Judy and I decided to make oatmeal cookies. Bad recipe, but they were edible. Anyway, while we were making cookies, a person hailed us from off the stern. As I turned I saw a gentleman standing in his inflatable hanging onto our stern. I invited him aboard and he introduced himself as Captain of a beautiful sailing vessel anchored between us and the shore. We visited for a bit and he then invited us over for cocktails that evening. After running Tammy back to the dinghy dock and her car, we went over for drinks and a tour of their 47' sailboat. They turned out to be a very gracious couple, as most cruisers are, and extremely knowledgeable, with over thirty years sailing experience and two circumnavigations under their belts. Quite impressive, I must say. We learned much in a short time last night and made some new friends. Their boat is only three feet longer and about three feet wider I would guess, but seems drastically roomier. (Judy thinks the white interior and open design of the boat makes it appear larger).Their boat is a racing cutter, made of Kevlar and all composit material. He said the fastest they sailed it so far was seventeen and a half knots. Overall it was a very enjoyable and informative evening.

The exhaust system is now new, with the exception of the riser. I procured the pipe to fabricate a new one which I will install in Mexico at a later date. The fuel polisher arrived yesterday. When I checked it out I discovered the builder had not tightened the pipe fittings. They were only finger tight with pipe sealer painted all around the outside. I had to completely disassemble the unit and reassemble it. Tightening each fitting as I went. The shoddy work that is deemed acceptable these days  never ceases to amaze me. Had I tried to use it as received. It would have shot fuel everywhere.

Judy says: our hosting captain told us all of their friends refer to his wife as a "saint" as she has spent over 30 years with him sailing and raised two children with him on a J36 boat (that's a very small boat for 4 peope!) But they seem a very happy, intelligent and fun couple......

No comments:

Post a Comment