About Me

My photo
Now single male in search of true freedom via the cruising life on the high seas.

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Profile

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Galley

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Engine Access

I am stuck in La Paz again. It seems that there are some strong forces holding me here, no matter my strong desire to head North up the sea. I have discovered that the engine's rear main seal is leaking and must be replaced. I did my research on the subject and discovered that this is a common problem with the Perkins 4.108 engine. A place called Foleys has made a better seal that they claim will last without leaking if installed properly. I ordered one today at a cost of $109 + shipping. I can only hope that this will cure my problem of oil in the bilge.



I decided to cut out a section of the cockpit floor to enable easy access to the engine, water maker, auto pilot, and steering mechanism. With this engine access it will be much easier to fix the oil pan if it proves to be leaking also. Besides, it gives me something to do while I wait for the rear main seal to arrive from the states. The access hole is cut out and now I must seal all exposed wood surfaces with fiberglass to avoid core rot setting in, due to moisture. I must also make it water tight, to avoid any breach to the engine compartment. That should be a significant challenge.

5 comments:

  1. Nice job with cutting the hole in the floor. If I had the time I would head down and supervise (any excuse is a good one), but my calendar is full until July or August. You will also be able to resolve the engine pa,n issue at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was the idea, but I'm not sure the problem includes the pan. Actually, I hope replacing the rear main seal will take care of the leak. I know the seal is at least part of, if not all of the problem. I was wondering if you got back yet. Got your training wheels installed yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see how you seal the cockpit sole. My entire sole come out after removing 12 bolts and the thick neoprene rubber seal I put around the perimeter seems to do a pretty good job of keeping things watertight. But I also have a smaller access hatch within the sole that is hinged and only requires loosening 2 hatch-style clamps. The "D" shaped (in x-section) window weather stripping that I laid in, 2 pieces side by side, also does a pretty good job. The problem is that to latch or unlatch I have to crawl partway into the engine compartment via the access door behind the companionway stairs. It's a pain but the access hatch in the cockpit floor is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was suggested to me to use a piece of commercial freezer door gasket. It is said to work quite well. I am thinking of using flush turn latches, like the ones used on my bilge hatches. The only problem would be the prohibitive cost down here. Perhaps I can have Coyote bring them down this summer. My first concern is to seal the hatch and cockpit sole plywood edges with fiberglass to prevent core rot.

      Delete
  4. No problem on bringing down the flush latches. Why don't you see if you can find a product cut sheet or part number on the Internet so I can find a source here in town or on the Internet and get them early.

    ReplyDelete