About Me

My photo
Now single male in search of true freedom via the cruising life on the high seas.

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Profile

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Galley

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Ops!

Yesterday after flushing the Water Maker, scrubbing out the Dink, and washing down the deck on Wind Raven, I decided to take the dink out for a sail. The wind was around 15knts and the water was pretty choppy. I figured it would be a good day to learn a little more about sailing the little boat. I got it all rigged up ready to go and headed out across the bay. My course would take me into the wind and against the current, which was running about 3knts. It was low tide and there is a sand bar about half way across the bay that is too shallow to cross. As I approached the sand bar and started to tack to port the rudder folded over in half. I released the sail to dump the wind, as I had no control of the dink at this point. While retrieving the broken rudder I drifted over the sand bar. With sail flapping I grabbed an oar and wrestled the dink off and into deeper water.


Broken rudder in stern of Dink!


 I started to sail back to the boat without a rudder. By pumping the sail so that it would catch the wind and the then dumping it I made short zigzags in the general direction I wanted to go. At this point I put the oars in their locks and under a port tack I used the starboard oar as a rudder, and vice versa. Upon approaching the boat upwind I came about and just as I was almost to it the current changed and swept Wind Raven beyond my reach. I released the sail and with it flapping in the now strong wind and stronger current pushing my away, I grabbed the oars and started to row. I was only about six feet behind Wind Raven, but it was touch and go for a bit as I struggled to catch her. There for a while I was in serious doubt that I could, but I finally did. It was a good thing as if I had not caught her I would have been in for a long trip to shore to await ebb tide!




Just another boring sunset!

4 comments:

  1. Wow Jay!
    You never fail to make me laugh! Sorry you had to go through that! And SOOO glad you caught up with her! Bill is enjoying the sun in Arizona for the month. I miss him but he seems to be happy in the 74+ weather......While we are just coming out of the deep freeze of Seattle and the NW with ice and snow. It's all slush and ick now!!! Check out my Facebook if you can get it. Lot's of pictures! Nice to hear of your continuing adventures!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good news is I don't have to swim to get to Wind Raven, but I can see it now (You sitting on the back of the dink telling me to row harder and use more of the right oar to keep the dink going in the proper direction.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually I was lucky, but thanks anyway Steve!

    Hi Kathy, Glad you can see the humor in my trials and tribulations. Looking back they are a lot more amusing than when they are actually happening. I do laugh at the situations I often find myself in. Especially the ones that are self imposed. Bill should have traveled a little further south. It has been in the high 70s to low 80s here most of the time. How is Bills Islander 44 coming along?

    Nah Coyote, The rudder is still broken. We will have to use the motor. Besides the tidal currents aren't bad out at the Islands where we will be!

    ReplyDelete