About Me

My photo
Now single male in search of true freedom via the cruising life on the high seas.

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Profile

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Galley

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

V-DRIVE OPTIONS, HURRICANE?




Yesterday I started disassembling the v-drive. To make a long technical story short, let it suffice for me to say that I found the major problem, (warn internal double u-joint and pinion shaft splines) that are causing the knock. I disassembled it most of the way in place. As far as I could get in the process exposed the problem and has left me options on how to proceed. Of course I am once again stuck with a dilemma.
This morning I called the Walter v-drive company and spoke with their technician. My intent was in finding out how to remove the internal double u-joint from the case and pinion shaft. What I found out is that the unit must be removed from the boat and they must be pressed out in a machine shop. Both the Pinion shaft and the u-joint have to be replaced. I was also informed that the bearings will also need to be replaced. I asked for a price on these parts and was quoted; U-Joint $432.00, Pinion Gear$216.00, and the Bearings, seals and Gaskets $260.00. That comes to $908.00 plus shipping and import fees. On top of that will be the machine shop bill, which I haven’t a clue what that will cost.
I asked the technician if I could run it as is, for short periods in an emergency situation. He wouldn’t commit himself, which is understandable, but said it might be okay. As far as I know there is no one who can do the work here even if I could purchase the parts and get them here, which is iffy at best. The best place available in Baja would be La Paz, which is over 250 miles south.  I could sail south, but the general winds at this time of year are from the south and would be dead on the nose, or worse yet, nonexistent. With no use of the v-drive and single handing, this option is very iffy indeed. This is especially so during the height of hurricane season. If I sit here and a hurricane hits Santa Rosalia, I am screwed anyway. If I made it as far south as Puerto Escondido, I might be better off, as it is a designated hurricane hole.
It is 125 miles to Puerto Escondido where I would at least have more options. That is if the tropical storm developing doesn’t turn into a hurricane and travel up into the sea.  I’ll just have to think about it all. In the meantime I might just put the v-drive back together. At least then I might have a chance! 

3 comments:

  1. If it isn't one thing it's another! Geez!
    -Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it sure seems to be! Welcome back to Mexico. Where are you folks heading next? I'm going to hang out in Santa Rosalia for about a month or so.Then head south towards La Paz. I like it here, just hope the bad weather stays away from here. I'm not going to chance the currents up north without a dependable v-drive. How do you like the mosquitoes there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'll probably be in San Carlos working on the boat until mid-October. Then over to Baja for a slow cruise back down to La Paz. The mosquitoes don't bother us near as much as the jejenes. At least I assume they're jejenes since I don't see anything but still I get all bit up. The screens keep most of the bugs out but all it takes is a short walk to the shoreside head to get eaten alive.
    -Steve

    ReplyDelete