About Me

My photo
Now single male in search of true freedom via the cruising life on the high seas.

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Profile

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Galley

Friday, September 14, 2012

OPTIONS?



I sent an e-mail to Walter Gear and asked them what it would cost for them to rebuild the v-drive. They said that with the described problems it would run in the neighborhood of $1200 plus shipping both ways. I would imagine that the shipping would run around $200 each way, which would bring the price to around $1400 to San Diego. I would then have to get to wherever I am in Mexico. They also said that a new v-drive would cost $2,061 plus shipping one way, which would total around $2,300. 
                                                                                                                                                                   
Options
Parts cost…. $908.00 plus one way shipping & machine shop fee, for removal & installation of pressed shafts & bearings.
Rebuilt unit…. $1200.00 Plus two way shipping to New Jersey.
New v-drive…. $ 2061.00 Plus one way shipping, with the possibility of recouping some of the cost, by selling the old v-drive for $300 to $500.

I will have to get the exact shipping costs and revise this, so that I can make a better informed decision as to my best possible options. I will have to wait until my Harley sells before I can make the purchase anyway, so I have plenty of time. In the mean time I will just have to learn how to be a better sailor, and sail everywhere, without the option of motoring. Either that, or just stay in one place and live on the boat as if it were an apartment on the water. Many people do, ya know!


4 comments:

  1. There are worse things than simply living on a boat in Baja. Just have to pick a place you like. Any nibbles on your scooter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jay,
    Next week is Street Vibrations and your bike is on display at the premier chopper shop in town. We will see what happens over the next week. I need to go check the oil, and do a startup to reduce the oil barfing on the floor if someone needs to see it running. I also want to charge up the battery overnight on a tender. If it doesn't sell we will work something out to get you moving so to speak.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got everyone at church praying 4 u 2 get help for the v drive & etc.....love, j

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have that right Steve, and Santa Rosalia is a nice little town with an inexpensive marina.

    Hopefully the bike will sell Coyote, if not I can sit here until I save up the $ to get the v-drive fixed if I have too. You have been a great friend and I really appreciate all you are doing and everything you have done in the past. Life is good when you have such great friends & brothers.

    Prayers always help Judy... Thanks!

    ReplyDelete