About Me

My photo
Now single male in search of true freedom via the cruising life on the high seas.

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Profile

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Galley

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Santa Rosalia




I paid Jim one hundred dollars to tow me out with his powerboat (Sea Hunter) about four and a half miles towards Isla San Pedro Martir. This was marginal, but should afford me ample room to clear the points to the south. The wind was out of the north at about four knots as predicted. I ran out a new six ounce 150 Genoa that had been stored in the locker and headed out in an easterly direction, while I raised the main. The current was just starting to move in a southerly direction, as the tide was beginning to recede. Just as Jim was going around the point on the small anchorage and out of sight, the wind died. I spent the next nine and a half hours in light breezes to no wind. The most headway made under full sail during that time was one half knot, but mostly around three tenths of a knot. This wouldn’t have been a problem if it wasn’t for the current that was trying to take me to shore on the point. I thank God it wasn’t an excessively strong current that day, or I would surely lost Wind Raven.

The wind started to pick up at dusk and having previously learned my lesson of the dangers of sailing at night under full sail, I put three reefs in the main. I ran the one fifty Genoa, since I could furl it in according as required. The wind built rapidly and I was soon on course doing seven plus knots. The wind changed directions thirty degrees or so and in velocity constantly all night long. This caused me to be trimming the sails on a regular basis all night. All in all it wasn’t a bad sail, but very nerve racking without any mechanical power backup. I had no idea when I would arrive in Santa Rosalia.

As it turned out I reached the point north of Santa Rosalia just as it was getting light. I figured that I would continue on course, staying out away from the hills that might block the wind on my approach to the harbor. As it turned out it made no difference, as about two hours later the wind that had been my companion all night died. So it seemed, as it started, so shall it end

There I sat with no propulsion what so ever. I spoke with some cruisers on the sunrise net and they suggested I call into Santa Rosa on VHF 16 or 22 for assistance. I did and was answered by a gentleman by the name of Bruce from Australia on SV Marionette. I informed him of my situation and he replied that he was aware of it, as he had been following my progress on the sunrise net. I asked if anyone had a dinghy with a larger outboard who could tow me in. He said that he would tow me in with his big boat and would be out asap. He called as he left the harbor and said he had me on radar and would be there in about forty five minutes, as he was making seven and a half knots. He arrived on time and towed me in without incident. Bruce wouldn’t take anything for the tow, so I treated him to dinner in what turned out to be the best restaurant with the best food I have experienced in Mexico so far. I took the next two days to get in some groceries and rest up, before attacking the v-drive problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment