About Me

My photo
Now single male in search of true freedom via the cruising life on the high seas.

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Profile

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Galley

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

THE OLD MARINA

The good news is that the old marina here in Santa Rosalia is an inspiration to behold! Yes I mean it. The day I arrived, I just pulled into an empty slip, tied up, walked up to the office to pay for a slip and was told that I needn't pay until I leave. Toby asked the length of my boat and at 44' he said that would be 200 pesos ($15.00) a day, or 3500 pesos ($270.00) a month. Those are the cheapest rates in Mexico, my friends. He handed me a paper for the Port Captain that was in both Espanol and English to fill out, and then had me put my name on the top of a paper with headers of Beer, Pop, etc. on columns. I asked what that was for and was informed that it was to keep track of what I took from the refrigerator, so it could be added to my bill when I leave. He then told me the "rules" for the marina. These consisted of closing the gate and locking it in a certain way, and mopping up the excess water on the floor after showering. I thought he meant the gate on the ramp to the slips, until he handed me a key and said "this is the key to the office." I said "you're giving me the key to the office," he just said "yeah" like it was the most natural thing in the world. He then added, "how else could you take a shower at night or get something out of the cooler if you want it? Now, I was a bit taken aback! He then smiled and said " we practice the honor system here." Just mark what you take down on your sheet, that's what it's for.

JIM'S BOAT THAT TOWED ME OUT OF BAHIA SAN FRANSCITO


I asked if they didn't have people leave without paying their bill? He said that they did once, but it was years ago, and another cruiser paid the persons bill for him. After paying his bill, he then headed out after the thief  to collect, and did! All I can say is; I'm impressed.

Here at the marina I became friends with a great person who is also a great sailor from New Zealand. His name is Bruce and he is the person who brought his 50' sailboat ( Marionette ) out five miles to tow Wind Raven into Santa Rosalia. He took me out sailing and fishing on his boat a couple of afternoons since I've been here. Yes we/he caught Dorado and Rooster Fish. He left for Puerto Escondido today, as the winds are predicted to be from the north for the next few days. I will miss him and his extremely positive attitude. He is also a great cook and fixes a lot of excellent fruit and vegetable dishes.He will return in a week or so to pick up his car and take it to PE. Around mid October he will be heading to San Diego, and I am hoping to be able to send my v-drive with him that far to be shipped. That is yet to be seen though. He will then return to New Zealand to skipper a very large (Schooner?) charter sailboat for the New Zealand summer. I feel privileged to have met and befriended him.

While he was here, Gorden's lady Kate stopped by on her way to San Diego to catch a plane. It was a surprise seeing her again. It had been over a year since I have seen her. She said to say hello to you Judy, in case you are reading this.


BRUCE'S 50' MARIONETTE


As far as the town is concerned, it is a real Mexican town, with a small town atmosphere. It is actually a mining town, with many beautiful old buildings and a large smelter across the highway from the marina that is not operational. There are others that are operational. I am unable to upload photos on the blog at this time, but will take them anyway and upload them in the future. I right clicked on one of the screwed up photos, then inspect element, and it said; Blob.webkitslice ( ) is deprecated.  Yeah, okay right! Like I'm supposed to know what the hell they are talking about. I will get one of the many computer folks to help me with it asap. Be patient, I will fix it. I think I know who is behind my problems with the blog, so I will take care of that also!


3 comments:

  1. Hey, Jay Tell Kate & Gordon I returned the greeting to them! Sounds like you are at the best marina you/we have visited so far...sounds awesome---at least if you gotta b stuck somewhere it is a nice place to be for now...and GREAT news about the guy from N Z who may b able to get the v-drive up to SD for repair---let me know if you need me to do anything to help facilitate the shipping or repair issue.....Good to hear u r meeting nice fellow cruisers...makes it all seem tolerable when times get tough, eh? Love, J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jay,
    I think I finally figured how how to get on here! I have been following you the whole time you have been gone! You are living your dream and that makes me happy! Your adventures, although not always for you, are what most people dream of! Just sending you positive thoughts and love from all of us to you!
    Gaybelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gaybel, It's great hearing from you. Glad you finally figured it out. I have all kinds of problems with these damn internet sites. This one won't let me download photos now. I tried to do what they said to accept their fix,but I don't know what this means . That is the shortcut to accept their suggestion. Have any ideas?

    ReplyDelete