About Me

My photo
Now single male in search of true freedom via the cruising life on the high seas.

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Profile

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Galley

Saturday, March 3, 2012

A WINDY KICK BACK DAY

Since the wind started howling around 4:30 am I decided to make it a day of R&R. After a breakfast of two scrumptious BLTs, I watched a movie, took a solar shower, and then finished a book I was reading. By this time the wind had hit twenty six knots out of the North and of course the tide was contradictory to the wind. This as you know, causes what they call "The La Paz Waltz" with the boats dancing about in all directions. It sometimes makes for a very rolly  anchorage, which always ends up causing at least one or two boats to drag anchor. One broke loose first thing this morning during the cruisers net, and of course no one was aboard. It always seems to work that way, doesn't it Steve? Ha! Ha! Gotcha! Knock on Wood, I haven't drug anchor yet. Yes I did. Knock on wood, that is!


WHITECAPS GALORE!





After lunch I decided it was once again time to check my anchor bridle, as sometimes it acts like Houdini and unhooks itself. Well the wind and tide being from opposite directions and obviously of equal pressure caused something I have never seen before. Wind Raven sat idle on the hook with the chain rode hanging straight down and the bridle slack on both sides. 


23 to 26 KT WINDS!




Wow, another strange thing just happened. The big Chief in the sky just turned off the fan. I mean right now. The wind went from 26 knots to two knots in about thirty seconds. Summer must be early this year. Maybe it's just an Indian Chief summer? Anyway that wind surfer plunked down in the water and got stranded in the middle of the bay. Lucky for him there was an observing cruiser who went to his rescue and gave him a ride to shore. It would have been a long hard swim dragging that kite behind him.


A BIT CLOSE?




While I was taking photos of the wind surfer, a pelican saw me precariously hanging onto the side of the rolling boat trying to keep my balance and decided to do a fly over to check me out. I guess they get curious also.


MY OFFICIAL OBSERVER.

2 comments:

  1. It sure looked like that wind surfer could have hooked the mast of that boat. Great pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, Jay. Anchor dragging seems to only happen when you're not on the boat. And, as you pointed out, I should know.

    ReplyDelete