About Me

My photo
Now single male in search of true freedom via the cruising life on the high seas.

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Profile

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Galley

Monday, July 16, 2012

HAUL OUT REPAIRS

Since I have been hauled out, I have been investigating the repairs needed while out of the water. Unfortunately, I discovered some ware inside the Max Prop that was caused by a clogged grease passage way. The damage will have to be repaired, or the prop rebuilt in the future. My plan was to put the spare prop on for now, which would get me by until the repair/rebuild is complete. Unfortunately I found this to be impossible, as when a Max Prop is installed the end of the shaft is cut off and a cotter pin hole drilled for a pin to enable clearance inside. This makes it impossible to hold on a regular prop nut with key. I don’t think there is enough room to have the shaft machined, because it would then be too short. The only way to fix it now would be to have a new shaft made. My only option for now seems to be to clean out the grease channels in the Max prop, fill it with grease and pray that it lasts awhile. At least until I can locate a shaft replacement that I can put the other prop back on.

SHAFT THREADS CUT OFF FOR MAX PROP INSTALLATION!

DEPOSIT ON SHAFT FROM VIBRATION!



I have to pull the shaft to replace the cutlass bearing, which means I will disturb the Drip-less seal. As long as it is out I will install new O-rings in it. While I have it out I will check to make sure there is no room for machining, to enable me to change props.

CUTLASS BEARING!

DRIP-LESS WITH O-RINGS INSIDE


The rudder shaft stuffing box had a slow leak that was quite annoying. Yesterday I finally got the packing material out and discovered two different sizes in it. The first piece removed was ¼ “ but the rest was 3/8” go figure. The larger size was ¼ “ wide and 3/8” high, so maybe it is a different type. I will have to find out and replace it with the correct material.

THE VIBRATING CULPRIT!

1/4" OR 5/16" OR 3/8" ? 


I also want to seal the cockpit hatch while I am here if possible. Actually if I pick up the materials I will be able to make the repair at anchor. I need to pick up some aluminum angle and make a gasket/seal for it. I will then bolt it down until I can locate some water tight latches at a reasonable price for it.

BARCO


The hull bottom is in good shape and I am negotiating a sanding price. I started to sand it and realized it would take me a month in 100 degree plus weather. If I let them sand it, I will have time to pursue other needed repairs, such as a crack in the bow. I don’t know if the crack is just in the gel coat, or if it is in the glass itself. One way or the other, I am going to make a fiberglass repair and then put a stainless steel wrap-around cover over it and bolt it in.

SURFACE CRACK?....I HOPE!

MYSTERIOUS DAMAGE!


Today the people who gave me a price on sanding and painting the bottom are supposed to start sanding. However, the man who gave me the quote was supposed to give me a copy of the quote and has not done so yet. I will not let them start until I have the written quote in hand. I hope he brings it with him this morning so there is no problem. Also Gabriel said three times that he would put chains on the jacks. It has been five days now and I still have no chains on my jacks. I will just have to wait and see what transpires later this morning when they show

Some photos for your perusal!

GUARDA CASA!

GUARDA MIGUEL!

 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like at some point you will have to also get a matching prop so you have a spare that works on the shaft. All seems reasonable and kind of what you would expect to find when it comes out of the water.

    ReplyDelete