About Me

My photo
Now single male in search of true freedom via the cruising life on the high seas.

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Profile

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Galley

Saturday, November 5, 2011

ON TO LA PAZ

I awoke to an angry sea with five foot swells on a lee shore, at four this morning. The wind was around 16 knots and climbing. I could see white caps outside of the bay. This is not the best situation to pull anchor in, especially when single handing. Oh well, nothing ventured nothing gained. I suppose it is just another test to check my competence. By six I was exiting the bay wishing I could sail, as the wind was up. Unfortunately, my roller furling was not up to it yet, which makes the back stay questionable until it is repaired properly. It would probably be okay, but I try to vie on the side of caution/safety. I put out a line hoping to snag a Dorado on the way I, but with no luck.

LOOKING AT LA PAZ FROM OUR ANCHORED BOAT

PHOTO OF SHUTTLE & PALAPA FROM OUR ANCHORAGE IN LA PAZ



I was a bit apprehensive concerning the long narrow channel leading into La Paz, as I had only been through it once before and that was when we first arrived in Mexico. It turned out to be no problem at all with the forward looking sonar. The Interphase system is well worth the price, as it removes all doubt and gives one confidence and “peace of Mind.” I wanted to avoid anchoring by the Malicon like we did before, as the music is very loud and goes all night long. Where I wanted to anchor was across the channel close to shore, where it is more protected and quiet. The problem was getting around a long sand bar that lies between the channel and the anchorage area. Well I very slowly turned out of the channel with my eyes riveted on the depth sounder, when a gentleman pulled up alongside and offered to show me where the entrance was. Great, I had a guide. He led me right into the anchorage area, and gave me some advice as to rode scope currents, tides etc. Once anchored, I headed across in the dinghy to see Lulu on Siempre Sabado, and used her computer to call Judy. It was pretty funny when Judy answered. I said, “I’m in La Paz.” She said, “who is this?” I said, “Jay.” She said, “Jay who?” At this point I thought I might have the wrong number, so I asked, Is this Judy Kinworthy? I received no response. I repeated the question and she said, y…eee…ssss! Who is this? I said I’m Jay, your husband! At this point I’m getting a little concerned. So she says, “You don’t sound like Jay.” So I said, well the last time I looked, I was!” Anyway it took quite awhile to convince her it was really me. I guess Steve and Lulu’s Skype sounds different than ours. Go figure! So to make a long story short, I am in La Paz and Judy will not be down until the 14th, due to plane fares being too expensive until that time. I guess I will work on the boat. Toodles!

2 comments:

  1. Hello "Jay Who?". I got your email and have signed in again using my yahoo address and hopefully this will go through ok. Sounds like the good news is the fishing is great and tuna sounds even better than dorado. The bad news is that you have more "challenges" to deal with on the boat but remember "one day on the boat is worth a week at work even with challenges". I just made that up but is sounds good. Have fun and say hi to Judy when you see her, if she recognizes you ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If "one dayon the boat is worth a week at work, even with challenges" as you say. I have only one question. WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING UP THERE IN COLD COUNTRY?

    ReplyDelete