About Me

My photo
Now single male in search of true freedom via the cruising life on the high seas.

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Profile

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Galley

Saturday, November 5, 2011

GOOD AND BAD!

Yesterday the Monday the 31st, I successfully removed the sail from the roller furling without damage. I also discovered the problem with the roller furling. When rolling in the sail the top stud on the turnbuckle rotates, causing the turnbuckle to loosen, breaking the cotter pins and coming apart. This problem causes the front stay to break loose, which in turn could cause a dismasting. That my friends, is not a pleasant thought!

BACK TOGETHER...SAIL REMOVED!


After reassembling the forward stay, roller, turnbuckle and adjusting the tension on both front and back stays, I decided to motor the remaining 51nm to La Paz rather than sail. Once in La Paz I will have phone/internet access and call PRO-Furl to speak with one of their techs to discover the cause of the problem.

Yesterday morning I slipped on the wet deck and of course landed on my injured left knee. It was doing much better, but last night it was very swollen again and painful. It is still swollen this morning and painful. Guess I’ll take the day off to give it a rest. Why is it that if one has an injury, he always seems to hit it and make it worse?

No comments:

Post a Comment