About Me

My photo
Now single male in search of true freedom via the cruising life on the high seas.

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Profile

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Galley

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Yellow Tail Tuna? Not!

I was fishing by the middle Candeleros for bottom fish when I caught a small (8") Jack. I put him on a live bait rig and slow trolled him about 50 yards when I hooked and landed what I thought was a Yellow Tail Tuna. I had a sneaking hunch this fish was an imposter when I filleted it, as its meat was very dark. Hmmmm!
Judy and I got on the internet and finally discovered the imposter's true identity. It turned out to be a Crevalle Jack. The common concensus is to "throw it back," cause it ain't no good! Sorry, but we disagree, I sprinkled a fillet with corn meal only and fried it up. It wasn't bad, I've eaten a lot worse. We are having it for dinner tonight and we ain't throwin it back. So there!

Just for your info Jim....It weighed an honest 30 lbs. maybe 35.


2 comments:

  1. Yep, we think the same way. Catch and release is into the skillet and if prepared right any fish is good. Just remind yourself that most people travel for a day or two to have the fishing you have out your hatchway. Your worst day down there s better than most are having at work. I'm not jealous but glad the two of you are enjoying yourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Mr "Not Jealous" when are you folks going to move down here where you can retire with not only good fishing, sunshine, inexpensive medical, but generally a hell of a lot more bang for your buck?

    ReplyDelete