About Me

My photo
Now single male in search of true freedom via the cruising life on the high seas.

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Profile

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Galley

Friday, September 16, 2011

Beans Tonight!

Today Thursday the15th I decided to go fish the point on the south end of the bay. I had a little cut bait that I put on my bottom jig. I made a few casts before I got a hit, but then a Dorado hit and came straight up from the bottom and into the air. He made three giant leaps before he tore the hook loose and swam away. Ten minutes later I hooked another Dorado and this time set the hook deep. The fight was on and lasted over 30 minutes before I got him close enough to gaff. Just as I reached out to gaff him, he got his second wind and started to strip the line from my reel quite rapidly. We went through this same scenario two more times, but the third and last time he won. He must have seen that sharp point on the gaff and known my intent, because he exerted a tremendous surge of power, straightening all three barbs on my treble hook, and nonchalantly swam off. That was one hell of a game fish.


The Hook
Later, Judy and I were going snorkeling and as we passed the area where I lost those two fish, Judy said; Do you hear that? It sounds like Dorado laughing!

No comments:

Post a Comment