About Me

My photo
Now single male in search of true freedom via the cruising life on the high seas.

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Profile

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Galley

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Gone Fishin!

On the 29th Judy got on the morning Cruisers net here and announced that we needed a ride to Loreto on the 31st and would buy lunch for whoever gave us the ride. To my surprise, after the net was over, a gentleman responded to Judy and said that he had planned on going in that day, but could put it off until the next day if we still needed a ride. Judy made arrangements to meet him in the parking lot at ten the next morning. We rode in along with our host (Dale)and another gentleman who also needed a ride that same day. It was a very pleasant and cool ride into Loreto in his air conditioned SUV. We went to Dale’s favorite Restaurant, which turned out to be new favorite restaurant. The food was excellent, very reasonable, and they gave huge portions with excellent condiments. Things such as avocados, three different salsas, peppers, and they even gave us a real salad with dressing along with three arocherro tacos. All of this was only 65 Pesos, (about $5 US.) As you enter the dining area there is a huge shark about elbow level in the center of the room that is being covered with tiny beads in beautiful colors in the mode of Baha SUR. I can’t begin to describe the incredible beauty, or the talent and patients this gifted artist displays in this great work of art. This next Friday when I go back, I promise to take my camera and photograph it for your perusal.


Dale chauffeured us around all day and then when we arrived at the airport at three in the afternoon, Dale waited there to give me a ride back. On the way he stopped to introduce me to a very knowledgeable local fisherman that answered all my questions and told me where to catch the most fish when Bill gets here. Our new friend Dale has decided to join Bill and I fishing when we go. He introduced me to a lot of locals, so many in fact that there is no way I can remember all of their names. They were all exceptionally nice and very informative, covering everything from fishing to hurricanes, and anchorages.

I worked on the boat today, trying to make sure it is ready. I checked the prop shaft alignment, which turned out to be right on. However while checking it, I discovered a leak in the water line that runs from the heat exchanger to the V-Drive. It turned out to be a worn out one half inch nipple that had become very thin in the thread area. I went up to the yard and asked the owner of the small marine supply if he had one. He said he did, so that will save a trip to town. He also told me about a booster for the internet signal that he said really works great. If it isn’t too expensive we may get one so we will have better phone access through Skype. It would also give us better access to the weather reports. That would be nice, and safer too! I will get those photos posted asap. Judy is now in Oregon visiting friends and family. I hope you all have a great day. See ya in the movies!

Update! I will haul out the boat to grease the Maxprop at ten tomorrow morning. I checked the alignment on the prop shaft and coupler yesterday and to my surprise they were right on. That leaves the prop as the culprit. Hopefully, after being greased it will quiet down and we will have a trouble free trip around the islands for the next week or so.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Jay and Bill! I believe you both are enjoying the sunshine of Mexico without me! (not fair!) Jay, I hope you get a picture of that fish with the beads!!! Bill forgot his camera.......Please keep me updated with pics of your adventures!!! I hope you have fun and get in lots of fish!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok Boy's,
    I just wanted to tell you a funny story and since I don't know where else to tell you it will be on this blog.
    I know you are out having fun fishing. I'm glad! It is beautiful here in Seattle and I was visiting with a customer who lives close to Redondo Beach. She assured me that NO DOG had EVER gotten out of her yard. I told her my dog was a master of escape.
    Well, I took Mattie and let her go. The next thing I knew (after only ONE glass of Wine!!!) She had went DOWN the embankment which consisted of 6 flights of stairs for ME. I went down the stairs to the beach and found the dog on the hillside. She followed me up the stairs and IMMEDIATELY went back down her escape route and ended up in the yard of a neighbor two houses away. Meanwhile, I went back down and up the neighboring stairs to no avail. So back down and then UP the broken stairs inbetween the two houses. No go. So while I was doing that she had escaped to the street where Larry ( the man of the house) found her and called her and she nicely came to him..........
    what a great impression on a new client!!!
    (I had another glass of wine..............)
    Miss you guys!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi It's Monday night and just thought I would let Bill know that the yard is mowed and all is well with the house. Just another sunny day in Seattle.
    Hope you are getting lots of fish. Let me know what email to write to you at if you get this!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete