About Me

My photo
Now single male in search of true freedom via the cruising life on the high seas.

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Profile

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Galley

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Stormy Weather

Here we sit stuck once again, but this could be a good thing. Where we are anchored at present is maybe not where we are supposed to be, maybe. When arriving back in San Diego we headed to an anchorage that a  local sailor told us about on past the Coronado Bridge. While following the channel towards the bridge a navy tug was approaching us pulling a long string of floating tanks with wheels protruding horizontally out the sides. I could not see the end of the string due to a bend in the channel ahead on our starboard side. It appeared that the tug was swinging wide to clear the bend. This turned out not to be the case. As we approached the tug contacted me and informed me not to maintain my current course because I was about to enter a portable ship berth. He then instructed me to pass on his starboard side, which I did. As we cleared the barge a Navy Patrol boat proceeded at a high rate of speed towards us, but upon closing slowed and stopped,just watching. My thoughts at this time were not pleasant. I am not one who likes authority figures, especially when I might have, unknowingly violated some obscure rule. My WHEW! didn't last long, when once again the patrol boat all of the sudden shot forward circling around between us and the string of floats. They slowed , pulling along side and asked very politely, if we would move further to port due to an approaching ship around the bend. I guess they were the Navy traffic control police. Before turning to port I asked the officer exactly where the anchorage was on the other side of the bridge. She replied that there was no anchorage there. Great, running way into the bay, with water in the fuel, to a nonexistent anchorage.What next? As I was turning around to head back towards the ocean the patrol boat rapidly returned and informed me that the anchorage we were seeking was on the right on the other side of the bridge. Cool, that confirmed what we were told. We anchored in 15' of water at low tide above the bridge. That evening the storm hit and has been getting worse as the hours pass.

It is now the second day here and the storm still rages. I have not had much sleep, due to not trusting the anchor completely and keeping a vigilant eye on its holding. About two hundred yards behind us lies the bridge columns which would wreak havoc on Wind Raven should the anchor pull loose. This morning we located another anchorage that is more protected, but are waiting for the wind and rain to abate a bit before attempting to move. The wind is supposed to die off around 7 or 8 this morning. Until then I will stay vigilant comforting myself with the fact that Judy is getting the rest she deserves and so desperately needs. She got up around 2am  and sat with me for a couple of hours. She finally gave in to sleep and is now making those content sleeping sounds.Last night she was reading through some information on the anchorage areas in the area and discovered a discrepancy on which side of the bridge the designated anchorage is. We were planning on moving to a free 30 day anchorage to make repairs, but as stated we are stuck here for now. Man, it's really blowing hard out there. Besides the US Navy said it was here!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, you are safe and dry so all is well. It doesn't sound like your fix for the gasket material will be all that bad and once the weather changes you should be on your way again. I figure you have had two months of sea trials so that you can spend the winter making all the adjustments need while laying off the East Coast of Cabo.

    You two hang in there, you are doing a good job taking things in stride.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete