About Me

My photo
Now single male in search of true freedom via the cruising life on the high seas.

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Profile

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Galley

Thursday, December 9, 2010

San Diego

It was up at one in the morning, as I couldn’t sleep. Just anxious to get the hell out of Oceanside, I suppose. To my surprise, Tammy was also having problems sleeping, not a common trait for young ladies it seems, and got up to help me prepare for departure. To my surprise we were joined by Judy, who also arose to help upon hearing us talking. My first concern was to make sure the fuel filters were working properly, as I had problems getting a seal on one I had previously rebuilt. I had tested it the day before, but something was telling me to recheck it. It’s a good thing I did, because after starting the engine I switched over to it and it sucked air and killed the engine. Now our departure would be delayed while I bleed the fuel lines and injectors. We also had to pump out the tank etc. By the time we left it was four in the morning. There was zero wind so we had to motor again. Sometimes I wonder why I bought a sailboat, since there never seems to be any wind. The trip was uneventful, except for all the war ships warning everyone to stay at least five miles distant. The approach to San Diego was clogged with fishing boats and traps. I can’t figure out why they allow the harbor approaches to be clogged up like they do. Maybe they figure it will keep you on your toes. It took a total of eight hours to get here with my head in the bilge and vacuum hose in hand again.


We will be here at least five days to make repairs and install new items we had sent here to Tammy’s place of residence. Here at the Harbor Police Mooring they only charged $52.50 for five days in a very nice slip. This is the best and least expensive to date. What a nice surprise after that hell hole Oceanside.

Tammy’s mother Lynn came by to pick her up, stayed for coffee and a visit. It was nice to see her again after all these years. We invited Tammy to go with us to Mexico, but I had the feeling that Lynn was a bit apprehensive about her going. It’s too bad, as it is a once in a lifetime opportunity for her. Oh well, maybe she can fly down and join us later. It would have been nice to have her to help with watches on the way, but I am being self-serving I suppose and must allow her to make her own unbiased decisions. I will try to take as many nature photos for her paintings as possible on the way. She will drive us around today to get parts and supplies, which is a great help. Being in a strange port afoot is a real pain in the ass, not to mention feet, legs etc. Next port Ensenada Mexico for a haul out and bottom paint.

Now for Judy’s comments.

The first thing I want to say is how thankful I am for having our good friend Russell adopt my little nearly 15-year old blind Dachshund, Pepper, when we found out after trying her out on the boat that it was just not a good place for her to be with her limited vision. She was so happy in her beautiful yard in Eugene having Russ and his friends giving her love and hugs and Russ even taking her fishing and on car rides which she absolutely loved and even taking naps with Pepper in bed (thank you for your sweetness and your tears for my sweet Pepper girl, Russ (And for paying for the vet and funeral costs). Russ’s friend Beth even took her to visit the elderly people she cared for in an assisted living center and we heard that Pepper and the old folks loved visiting each other…..and watching Jancy “cuddle” with Pepper when she watched TV made me very happy knowing Pepper would be well cared for (although still missed by me, her mom). Alas, while in Avalon I got the extremely sad news that Pepper and Russ’s cat Princess were attacked by wild raccoons in my back yard and while Princess was able to escape, Pepper, being blind, was not. After Russ and Beth coming to her rescue and taking her to an emergency vet to their sadness and mine the vet was not able to save her. I was so sad and still am……a few days later while Tammy, Jay and I took a long hike up a canyon in Avalon on Catalina Island we came upon a little curve in the road where off to the side the people of Avalon had created a beautiful little cemetery for their beloved pets and as I walked up to the front of the beautiful site, right there, directly in front of me was a tiny grave with colored rocks with the name “Pepper” spelled out on them! How amazing! I burst into tears and Tammy ran up and took a photo of it and I plan to have it laminated and want to send it to Russell for the memorial site of the best little dog in the world that spent her life loved by all who knew her! She will always be in my heart and thoughts. I KNOW all dogs go to Heaven and we will get together again one day, my dear sweet “Miss Sassy Pepper” (her AKC name, as she was a registered dappled, sable Dachshund). Dream on sweet Pepper, your loving Mommy will be meeting up with you again one day!)

On a lighter note, we hear that our wonderful cat “Boogie” has (finally) made friends with my daughter Moriah’s Chihuahua, Oscar, and Moriah recently got a lab mix puppy for Boogie to play with which she named “Bone.” Moriah tells me that Boogie has become quite spoiled and loves playing and napping with Bone and Oscar! Bet he’s glad to not be puking on the boat and happy sleeping with my granddaughter Haley and Grandson Brandon who tell me they absolutely LOVE my kitty man! Thank you so much Moriah, Darrell, Haley and Brandon for adopting my sweet little Prince, Boogie!

Oceanside to San Diego was beautiful if a bit disconcerting, because of all the war ships, war games, planes and jets doing numerous fly-bys to check us out….at one point I got a kick out of two fighter jets homing in close and Tammy, thinking they were the” Blue Angels” stood up and waved, and with all that beautiful blond hair flying in the wind one jet dipped his wings in greeting at Tammy and flew on---we got a kick out of that one!

In San Diego it was very nice meeting Tammy’s mother Lynn…..after hearing such wonderful things from both Jay and Tammy about her for the past few years. Knowing both Jay and Tammy, I am sure Lynn had her hands full with all of them under the same roof as a family!!!!!! And WOW all three of them were surely blessed with beautiful hair!

Jay and I walked about 2 miles and had a great dinner at a very nice Mexican restaurant last night (with an O’Douls for Jay and a Margarita for me!) and walked back “home” immediately falling into bed exhausted after hardly getting any sleep the night before! So glad to be here with the great moorage rates and hope to get our water maker repaired and other things done like a bit of provisioning and boat work. Tammy has graciously agreed to provide “Taxi” services for us and it will be fun spending more time with her.

1 comment:

  1. Jay wrote: "Sometimes I wonder why I bought a sailboat, since there never seems to be any wind."

    Hang in there, Jay. I often asked myself the same thing. But I suspect you'll finally get your wind after leaving Ensenada. We actually had a straight run under sail of something like 67 hours on the way down. And we were able to sail more than half the trip from Ensenada to Los Frailes.

    -Steve (in La Paz where it's going to be i the low 80s again today)

    ReplyDelete