About Me

My photo
Now single male in search of true freedom via the cruising life on the high seas.

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Profile

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Galley

Sunday, October 14, 2012

THE TRIP NORTH



Last week I purchased a Bus ticket to take me from Santa Rosalia to Tijuana. With the Mexico senior card it was half price at 650 pesos. I tried to take Steves advice and purchase a ticket to San Ysrido to enable me to avoid switching Buses in Tijuana, but they weren’t available at this location. At least that is what they said. It seems that in Mexico they will tell you what ever is the most convenient for them, or what they think you want to hear.
About two hours out of Santa Rosalia we were stopped by the Federalies and made to exit the Bus. All luggage was removed and searched. It was funny watching them try to grab my backpack with the v-drive and wood for the crate in it, with one hand and swing it up on the table. I tried to keep from laughing as it overpowered them and hit the ground. This happened several times on the trip and each time it was harder to keep a straight face. None of them tried to empty out the backpack, I think they were too embarrassed from dropping it. One did come on the Bus and ask me where I was coming from, going, why, and what was in the backpack. I got rid of him by rattling on about my breakdown with way too much information, until he said; “have a nice ride.”
The Aguila Bus was older, but had very nice comfortable seats installed. The ride to Tijuana took fifteen hours and we were stopped and inspected a total of six times. I thought they were looking for drugs, but they must have also been looking for wanted persons, because they would sometimes just walk up the aisle and look at each person.
I arrived at the Tijuana Bus Terminal at 8:00am and bought a ticket from Greyhound to San Ysidro for eight dollars US. I was not going to San Ysidro, but this would allow me to circumvent the line through Customs if I walked across. The American Customs directed me to a separate area from everyone else and I was instructed to wait there. This made me a little apprehensive being singled out from everyone else. After a bit a new Customs agent came out and motioned me to step up. He looked at my passport and said okay, have a nice day! That was it, I guess he was just starting his shift.
When I exited the Customs building I located the machines to buy a two day Tram pass and proceeded to get ripped off for eleven dollars by the first machine. God, I hate putting money in machines, it’s like playing Russian roulette. That first machine gave me my change, but no pass. The second machine gave me everything, but that meant I paid double for it. Yep, it cost twenty two dollars to ride the tram for two days.
I went first to FedEx and assembled my prefabricated wooden shipping container around the v-drive and inquired as to the cost. The Mexican lady said it would cost $99.00 with insurance to NJ. I was a bit surprised and asked why it only cost $32.00 to ship it from NJ to San Diego. She said that they had a commercial rate from the factory. At this point I jokingly asked if I got a discount with my Mexican senior card and she said sure, and dropped the price to $82.00. Damn, I finally found something good about getting old!
By the time I had completed everything I was exhausted and had run out of time to get back across the border, through Mexican Customs and ride the Bus to the Tijuana Bus Terminal to catch the four o’clock Bus back to Santa Rosalia. I went to the Motel 6 off of E St. in Chula Vista and was again given a senior discount with my Mexican senior card. Of course the lady was also Mexican, so I can’t say this will work everywhere in the USA. The next morning I had some Boston Cream pastries from a real Doughnut Shop across from the motel. These were a real treat, as the pastries in Mexico leave a lot to be desired. Hell, they almost made the fifteen hour Bus ride worthwhile!
The reverse trip was pretty much uneventful, with only two federally stops. That is with the exception of the Mexican Customs who didn’t search my bags, because I got a green light. I just hope my luck holds when I bring the v-drive back across. I rode an ABC Bus made by Volvo that the shocks were worn out on, and if one had a tendency to become sea/car sick, they would be in serious trouble. The seats were terrible with no lumbar support. Everyone had a backache after the eighteen hour trip. The driver was terrible and should be replaced, but most likely won’t be.
I met a twenty year old male from Canada who was seated beside me on the trip down. I couldn’t believe it when he said that he forgot to get a visa. I gave him a lady’s name to help him in La Paz with a visa. I hope it works out for him, he seemed a nice individual.
I am now awaiting word on my v-drive back in Santa Rosalia. I have been reading a lot, but must stop reading and get to work on the boat, much to do! ADIOS

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like as successful a trip as could be expected. Can't believe all the discounts your Mexican Old Folks card got you in the States. Maybe I better get mine.

    Looks like you might get hit with at least the tropical storm effects of Hurricane Paul. Let's hope it doesn't veer any further westward. Good luck!

    -Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, I meant "eastward"! -Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is good that the V Drive is getting fixed. If we get back from Utah in time maybe I can meet you in S.D. For a quick visit before you head back South. Hope the storm misses you and you stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 45 to 55 knot winds. Many lines on Wind Raven and trying to hold the dock together. My dock finger all broken up.It did extensive damage to the old marina docks. Would have lost several boats, and most of the docks, if it was any worse. It was very close as it is. One finger split in half, 10' of the end of my finger wasted. BAD! Will try to move boat tomorrow if possible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Take some pictures and send when you can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe this! There is no blog "sign in" on the blog! So I will try to sign in through the comments.

    ReplyDelete