About Me

My photo
Now single male in search of true freedom via the cruising life on the high seas.

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Profile

Wind Raven

Wind Raven
Wind Raven Galley

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

History

We purchased Wind Raven in Santa Cruz California and Jay motored it up 700 miles to Oregon in October 2008. Fighting headwinds and angry seas most of the way.

The trip began with a delivery captain who also did the survey on the boat prior to purchase. This person and crew were fired at Fort Bragg, CA after running the boat aground in Bodega Bay and for entering the shipping lanes out of San Francisco Bay at night, in the fog without turning on the radar. When told  to use the radar this "supposed" captain stated "That's ok, the ships can go around us." This same individual upon approaching Ft. Bragg told me "You have options other than stopping at Ft. Bragg to buy more fuel filters." At the time we were using the last fuel filter and had already gone through 9 filters due to dirty fuel. At this point I'd had enough with his incompetence. I then instructed him to contact the Coast Guard for a "lead in" to the harbor as it was a foggy night and at low tide. Upon reaching the dock I fired this so-called captain/surveyer and decided to look for another more competent sailor to help bring the boat to Oregon.
An experienced sailor was located in Oregon who accompanied me to our final destination.

Several serious (life threatening) faults were discovered on the boat after our arrival, that this "supposed" captain/surveyor failed to find. The first being that the step mast base was so rusted out that I could push a screwdriver through it. I had pointed the rust out to the surveyor and he assured me that it was just surface rust, not so. Also when the bilge pump would not activate I reached down to check the wire, at which time promptly disentigrated. Several other major faults were discovered, such as three seized seacocks, but I think you get the idea. I still can't believe he said to me that I had purchased a fine boat that he woulden't be afraid to sail it anywhere in the world. Personally, I feel very fortunate to have made it back to Oregon alive.
To date the step mast has been repaired and the boat has been rewired. The plumbing is also being replaced as it was also in extremely poor condition.Some of the items that required immediate replacement were the capstan, running rigging, stern rail, four of the ten winches were seized, etc. etc.

Hopefully, we can get her ready by Sept. to head south. Next is the watermaker!

No comments:

Post a Comment